Now is a great time to look at buying a new home. The past couple years we have adapted to say the least and being at home took on a whole new meaning. You may have learned some things during this time like maybe your home is just not big enough, or you need an office space, or maybe you are tired of renting. Whatever, the reason may be this could be the perfect time to lock in pricing, low interest rates and limited existing homes. Take a look at the latest collaboration and get some of these questions answered by Lindsey Svir with Valley Mortgage and Jessica Metcalf from Thomsen Homes. These two will discuss some of the big questions you may have on the financing side of building a new home and the process to get started.
Darcy hails from the warm and sunny land of Arizona and we think she’s definitely brought some warmth to the Thomsen Homes office! When you see Darcy she always has a smile on her face and a good story about one, or all, of her farm animals. She’s a veteran in the Home Market and will make sure you’re well taken care of when building with Thomsen Homes. Get to know Darcy below!
Are you in the market for a new home? Are your offers on existing homes being outbid? Has the shopping process become overwhelming? In many areas, buyers are finding that they are in a bidding war against multiple other buyers. Many homebuyers are having to settle for a home that is not exactly what they are looking for and doesn’t exactly meet their family’s needs. But why settle? Why not build a brand new home that can be personalized to meet your family’s unique needs? Here are the top 4 reasons to buy new!
Floor Plan Options
At Thomsen Homes, we know that no two families are alike. Our sales and design team are prepared to work with you to design and build a customized home. In fact, we have already thought of several unique layouts that can be specifically personalized for you. Use our new customized layout tool to plan and envision your new Thomsen Home! Interactive Floorplan – Thomsen Homes 2180 Bi-Level
Ready to Move In, No Fuss
Often when making an offer on an older home, there are many renovations that need to be completed. The kitchens and baths need updating. Sometimes the windows need to be replaced. And let’s not even talk about what might be in the carpet (Toenails…Ew!) Renovations aren’t always easy and may end up costing much more in the long run. During the renovation process it is possible a remodeler will discover that they must bring the house up to code, especially concerning plumbing and electrical systems. Hidden costs can add up quickly. When buying a new Thomsen Home, these worries and additional costs are eliminated.
Our Experts are There to Help
When purchasing a new home, you will work with our designers and drafters to make your new home uniquely yours. The benefit of purchasing a new home is that your finishes will be up to date and will match your own personal taste. The Thomsen Homes Design Studio is equipped to offer you all the latest trends in cabinets, countertops and flooring. Do you need some extra assistance in selecting the touches that will make your new house a home? Our design team can help you step-by-step through the entire process. Do you have a unique look in mind? We can help you bring your vision to life. Whether you’re a looking for a traditional bi-level or an ultra modern two story, Thomsen Homes can build the exact home you’ve been looking for.
Get in Before the New Year
We have homes available now and ready to call yours! There are a variety of different floor plans, price points, styles and areas to move to. We have homes in Horace, South Fargo, West Fargo and Grand Forks. Start making family memories and get into the home you have been waiting for!
These past few years have been nothing short of a whirlwind. Between a global pandemic, political transitions, a crazy housing market, low interest rates and so much more we can chalk up 2020/ 2021 as one that will go in the books! Despite the challenges there are so many glimmers of positive outcomes that we can take away from this past year. Over the years we have the pleasure of being able to watch families, couples, individuals build the homes they have always wanted. This year however, feels extra special. We are so grateful to be apart of such a momentous part of our clients lives. In a time where home has also converted into school, work, the gym among other things home has never taken on so many different roles. And if we learned anything from this past year it’s that home has been the anchor in all this madness and continues to be.
Inc. 5000 List 2021
Thomsen Homes made this year’s Inc. 5000 list 2021! We are very humbled by this achievement and recognize that this could not be possible without our amazing subs/ vendors, business partners and most importantly the families we build homes for. This year has certainly posed it’s challenges, although there are silver linings we are truly blessed by the growth and determination of the communities we serve as we navigate through each year.
This is the 4th year that Thomsen Homes has been ranked on the Inc. 5000 list.
If small town living is the lifestyle you desire, then Maple Lake Estates our newest development situated just minutes from the outskirts of Horace, ND. Just a quick trip and you are in the F-M area. There are a variety of lots surrounding a serene pond, wide open spaces and affordable to make this your new home.
Nearby parks and easy access to everything Horace has to offer, including the new middle school and high school amenities just to the north. Big Erv’s a Horace hometown favorite has something for everyone when it comes to eats. Small town celebrations like Bean Days with a parade in the heart of down town followed by entertainment and music.
If you are thinking of building this is a great area to be and get that close knit community vibe.
One of the fun things about working with different families when they build with Thomsen Homes is the different DIY projects they do after they build their home with us. It is so great to see the personal touches that they add to the home and Reagan and her husband Jacob have been so gracious to share their Thomsen Homes journey as well as dive into a DIY project in their master bedroom. Sit back and become inspired as Reagan shares her tips on creating a faux board and batten accent wall in their Thomsen Home. Follow Reagan on her instagram @reaganlange.
Since closing on our 2180 bi-level Thomsen Home in August 2018, we (mainly I, Reagan) have enjoyed decorating every room in the house! Home design has become a huge hobby of mine and I love getting inspiration from people I follow on Instagram. Some of my favorites include @studiomcgee, @hartman_haus, @frengpartyof6 (fellow Thomsen Homes homeowner!), and @jaci.daily just to name a few. When we first moved in, I found myself playing it safe design-wise. It took me a while to settle into a specific design style I enjoy for my home because I wanted it to fully emulate what I enjoy. Up until 2020, we had not made any major design changes to our home because I wanted to really think about it and make all the right choices. Building with Thomsen Homes allowed us to have a great foundation for any interior design choices we made moving forward. I love the light wood floors we chose as well as the white walls throughout our home (Sherwin Williams Snowbound). These light and airy elements allowed me to think freely on my interior design aesthetic and fully research what I found to love for our home.
The “Master” Plan
Last spring we were at home quite a bit due to the pandemic. My husband Jacob and I decided to make a dramatic change to our master bedroom by building our own faux board and batten accent wall. I am so happy with how it turned out! The color we chose was Sherwin Williams Iron Ore in a matte finish. This color is not quite black, but is a wonderful compromise between black and deep charcoal. Since the master bedroom in the 2180 floor plan is right off the main floor, I knew I wanted to do something “moody” to our room since our door is open most of the time. In fact, I feel like this dark paint color made our bedroom feel bigger than it was originally, believe it or not! The board and batten brings a huge wow factor that this room did not have before!
Faux Board and Batten
Here are some extra details about our faux board and batten wall: We chose to use primed wood boards from Menards in a 2.5″ x 8′ size. We liked the primed option because it provided a smoother appearance. In total, we applied seven vertical boards because that’s the spacing that seemed the most natural on our particular wall. We also decided to “frame out” the entire wall using boards that lined the ceiling as well as the floor. We ended up taking out the existing baseboard on this one wall and replaced them with the new boards to make a cohesive appearance. This gives the project a finished look in my opinion. We applied the boards with liquid nails and also nailed the boards to the wall. They are absolutely not coming off any time soon! To further make the look appear “professional” and finished, we added wood filler to any nail holes and caulked all the edges. This made a huge difference in the final look! Also, our existing outlet covers were white, so we opted to swap them out to a black option so they blend into the wall seamlessly.
Tips along the way
Some lessons learned from doing this project on our own include: paint AFTER the boards are on the wall! For some reason we thought it would be better to paint the entire wall first, then paint each individual board with a sprayer. This was so time consuming and in the end we wished we had painted everything as our final step, not the first. Another lesson learned was that we wish we would have invested into a nail gun. We used our handheld drill for everything and using a nail gun would have been so less tedious. Additionally, I found that it was helpful for my visual mind to put together a mood board in Photoshop to see how I wanted the end result to look, including the bedding, lighting, and decor items I planned to buy. Sometimes it’s hard to envision all my ideas together, so putting this mood board together really helped!
As first time homeowners, we enjoyed tackling this project that we are so proud of. We conquered this project at our daughter’s nap time over the course of a few days and it was so worth it in the end. The before and after photos speak for themselves! If you are looking at making a change to a room in your home, paint makes a simple but HUGE impact. Give a dark, bold color a try…you might be surprised!
Korey is one of the newest additions to our New Home Consultant team! The West Fargoan is a loving husband and father who enjoys a good Jack Daniels at the lake on the weekend, accompanied by some 90’s tunes. Sounds like a good time, right? Korey is a confident dude and we’re confident in him and his abilities to get you into your net new home! Welcome to the team! Get to know Korey below!
1.What’s your spirit animal, and why? Uhhh…. No clue
2. What super power would you want, and why? Probably Healing/regeneration… I would do some ridiculous/dumb things that would be awesome knowing that I wouldn’t die because of it.
3. If you had a time machine, and couldn’t mess with history, what time period would you travel back to? I would go back to 1994-ish. Mostly for the music. Either that or 1952 to have met my Grandfather in his prime.
4. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be? Steak
5. What fictional character would you be friends with in real life? Joey from Friends
6. What’s the movie title for the current chapter of your life? “Under Construction”
7. What is one random fact that you still remember from grade school? My 4th grade teacher ridiculed my handwriting so badly that I was pulled out of class to do cursive sheets for a week. Since then my handwriting has been better than any of my teachers moving forward.
8. Look at your phone/radio, what song/podcast is currently playing? “Break my Stride” by Matthew Wilder … Don’t listen to it unless you want it to be stuck in your head for a week.
9. Best concert you’ve been to? Or if you haven’t been, who do you want to see? The Black Keys on their El Camino album.
10. Have you ever met a celebrity? How was it? I haven’t really “met” a celebrity but I have had awkward instance once. I was late for my plane at MSP and running from one of the airport to the other and right outside my boarding place Mike Tyson was standing there with someone who looked like his agent or lawyer or something like that. I literally stopped running, stopped and staired at him with my mouth open as I slowly drifted by him on the fast walk conveyer. He even laughed at me a little bit but whatevs.
11. What’s a guilty pleasure of yours? Whiskey
12. Best TV show ever? The Office or Friends
13. Best movie ever? Out Cold
14. What nicknames have people called you throughout life? There are many but the one that, if said around my fellow high school alum, they’d recognize would be “Whitey”
15. Are you a morning or a night person? Used to be a night owl but now that I have kids it’s more and more turning to a morning person.
16. Where can you be found on your days off? The lake
17. What’s one thing that instantly makes your day better? Friendly people. Positivity is infectious.
18. What drives you to be the best person you can be? Hard to describe. Short answer… a voice in my head. In everything I do there is a mentor from my past that I think of and if what I am doing does not meet what I think their standards would be then it’s not good enough.
19. What does a typical day at the office look like? Computer, Zoom, people, people, people. Computer, Zoom
20. What Thomsen Homes role would you like to try for a day other than your own? CM
21. What’s your favorite thing about working at Thomsen Homes? Structure and Positivity… the people are pretty cool too😊