Next for our homeowner tips series: 8 spring maintenance tips that any homeowner can complete. Spring is just around the corner! In other words, it is time to prepare your home for the warmer months ahead. To prevent future problems, a little home maintenance can go a long way and it is much easier to tackle these tips before summer arrives.
8 tips to add to your spring ‘to-do’ list:
- General Spring Cleaning – Clean the interior of your home. Wipe down blinds, ceiling fans, and anywhere dust may have formed over the winter months. Now’s the time to clean out that old closet or your kitchen junk drawer.
- Heating & AC – Replace filters and check exterior AC hose connection for any leaks that may have occurred during the colder months. Check furnace intake and exhaust pipe on the exterior of your home to ensure that they are free of dirt and debris.
- Windows – Check all windows for proper movement. Clean out window tracks and weep holes to ensure proper operation.
- Lawn Care – Clean up any debris you may find in your yard. If you have an in-ground sprinkler system, ensure it is in working order.
- Decks & Patios – Hose down or power wash patios and decks for cleaning. Inspect your deck for warped loose or splintered boards and fix accordingly.
- Gutters – Leaves, dirt and debris tend to collect in gutters. Clean out gutters and check for proper drainage.
- Sump Pump – Inspect your sump pump and ensure that it is running properly. To check the operation of your pump, pour water into the sump pit to raise the float-arm attached to the pump. The pump should come on and pump water out. Replace the exterior PVC downspout that you installed in the fall with an extension hose to channel water away from your home.
- Lawn Equipment – Check your lawn equipment such as lawn mower to ensure it’s ready for summer. Clean and hose down any patio furniture to prepare for summer use.
There are endless maintenance tips that can be completed in the spring and the 8 tips above are simply recommendations. Read our Homeowner Maintenance Manual for more suggestions.